Spotlight Camper of the Month
1.What made you join Transformations 4 Life Boot Camps? I started coming to boot camp when I saw friends at work getting amazing results. I thought man I need to get in shape and give this class a try.
2.How long have you been coming? I started boot camp in 2011
3.What have you enjoyed most? I love the challenge each class brings. I have enjoyed watching myself progress from 5lb weights to now lifting 20lbs!!
4.What results have you experienced so far? I have lost weight and began to see muscle definition. I have also become a lot stronger. The best results that I have seen so far have been combining boot camp with Isagenix.
5.What have you learned about yourself? I have learned that working out can be fun and rewarding ;)
6.What new goals have you set for yourself? I want to lose about 10 more pounds and see myself get stronger with every class. I also want to encourage new people to join this lifestyle of getting healthy and fit ;)
New Boot Camp Class Offered
By popular demand- we have added a new boot camp to our weekly schedule.
We are excited to announce our lunch time boot camp from 12:00 pm- 12: 50 pm on Monday, Wednesday, & Friday afternoons. This Bootcamp is fast and fierce- it will accommodate those who want the full 50 minutes as well as those who need to a quick 30 minute workout.
Let’s face it with school starting up it is hard to come early in the morning and stay after work, this way you can eat sweat, refuel with your lunch and get back to work. WOW what you can now accomplish in that hour break…. No more excuses to get your fitness fix each day.
21 Reasons to Stop Drinking Coffee
I found this very interesting as Harlan and I have stopped all coffee in our house. I am here to tell you it can be done. But no hate mail please- I know some of you will guard that coffee pot with your life, try to keep an open mind and think of your health....
I recommend that you stop drinking coffee. Many people kid themselves, bragging I drank coffee while doing my Isagenix program and I still lost weight. Facts are that you probably would have released two or three times the weight if you had given up your coffee. Remember the goal of Isagenix is not weight loss, but to remove impurities from your body.
The toxicity of caffeine can be found when trying to remove this stimulant from your diet. The withdrawal symptoms of detoxification alone should clue you into how terrible it is for your body. Common symptoms include headaches (caused by sudden increase circulation to the brain when blood flow is no longer constricted), fatigue, sleepiness, lethargy, irritability, depression, muscle pain and stiffness, and sometimes even flu like symptoms. The narcotic effect of caffeine is so powerful that its influence is abundantly clear when the addict reintroduces this stimulant and all symptoms vanish.
Here are the facts you should know about what really happens when you drink coffee:
1. Numerous studies link coffee to calcium loss contributing to osteoporosis, and more bone fractures. Calcium is robbed from your bones to neutralize every time you consume something acidic like coffee.
2. A healthy body maintains a blood pH of around 7.3. Coffee is 25.1 on the acidic scale. All disease is promoted in an acidic environment and your health goal should be to create an alkaline body.
3. Decaffeinated Coffee is just as bad as and even more acidic than regular coffee. Most Decaffeinated Coffees are processed with formaldehyde, which is one of the most toxic substances to humans. Even in small amounts, formaldehyde can cause serious health problems and unfortunately takes years to finally dissipate.
4. Coffee dehydrates you, raises your cortisol levels (aging you more rapidly), and makes you acidic.
5. Coffee also hurts our natural intestinal flow, raises anxiety to high levels, aggression and blood pressure, along with staining our teeth as the least of the issues.
6. Coffee is another way to borrow energy from the future, but crashes you in the end.
7. Coffee makes your anxiety heightened and therefore hurting your ability to focus.
8. Coffee has also been linked to cancer.
9. Heating the coffee bean creates the chemical Methylglyoxal, benzopyrene, and chlorogenic atractyosides. A 1981 study from the Harvard School of Public Health concluded that drinking coffee was the cause of half of all pancreatic cancer cases.
10. It also found that drinking three cups of coffee a day increased your risk of pancreatic cancer by three times.
11. People who drink too much coffee often have difficulty getting rid of chemicals from their bodies, and their liver function is off. Caffeine just isn't that easy to digest. To break down the coffee you ingest and deliver that burst of energy to your blood stream, your liver uses enzymes. If all of your enzymes are hard at work within your liver trying to break down the caffeine, they aren't ready and active in your blood to knock out other bad chemicals it needs to get rid of.
12. It takes 64 ounces of water to neutralize one 8 ounce cup of coffee.
13. Caffeine constricts blood vessels of the brain and causes decreased flow of blood, which cuts the oxygen supply to the brain, resulting in a headache. It also increases your heartbeat 15% and makes your lungs work 13 times harder than normal. It greatly plays a role in fatigue as well.
14. Stop drinking coffee and you may see a huge gain in your sex drive! The adrenal glands in our bodies are the glands responsible for making hormones that make us feel sexual, like testosterone. If you have low testosterone, you will have a lower sex drive. Both woman and men have testosterone, obviously lesser amounts in women. But both sexes will see a difference in their sex drive if they drink too much coffee. If your cravings for sex have decreased and you drink a lot of coffee, weaning yourself off may be the first step to getting your sex drive back to normal.
15. People can have trouble getting pregnant or impregnating their spouse if they consume too much caffeine. To carry a baby, a woman has to have a certain amount of a hormone called progesterone. This hormone also helps women to become pregnant. Our adrenal glands make another hormone called cortisol, which is used up by our bodies during times of stress. If our adrenal glands are suffering, they can't make cortisol, and your body may take progesterone so it can make more cortisol. And without the progesterone, you can't get pregnant or carry a baby through a full term. If you are attempting to get pregnant, cutting the caffeine from your diet is step one.
16. Caffeine is also blamed for eliminating your feelings of being happy, as it kills the neurotransmitters in your body. Your brain won't be able to produce enough of these happy chemicals with lower neurotransmitters. People who are depressed are often lacking in a hormone called serotonin, which keeps you feeling good and satisfied. Caffeine is actually one of the main suppressants of serotonin, so steer clear of coffee if you suffer from depression or are feeling a little down in the dumps. While most people believe that coffee will lift them up,in the long run, it pulls them down.
17. Your adrenal glands actually store energy on your behalf, and they make chemicals that help your brain to feel happy, strong and motivated. Because caffeine is a stimulant, it causes your nervous system to run on high, making adrenaline, which we know we need in situations requiring action, or stress. If you can tolerate high levels of caffeine without a response, this is a bad thing - it means that your glands have actually stopped responding to you, like the boy who cried wolf! This can leave you susceptible to accidents, sleepiness, and health problems.
18. Coffee has the most pesticides of any food on this earth. So let's be clear- I'm not saying it has traces of pesticides, I'm saying you can't find any other plant in the world that has a higher toxicity of pesticides than coffee. It is so heavily treated with chemicals and fertilizers that it is even proving deadly in crop workers in many countries. Studies have shown over a thousand chemicals in coffee! If this isn't enough to put your cup down, read on... about twenty of these chemicals are proven to cause cancer. Is it worth the risk?
19. Caffeine Can Cause Obesity, caffeine stresses your adrenal glands, and your adrenal glands work cooperatively with your thyroid, the gland that takes care of your metabolism. If you have a slow thyroid, you will have slow metabolism, which means you'll gain weight more easily than someone with a 'normal' metabolism. By drinking too much coffee, you're intentionally slowing down your metabolism. So if weight is an issue for you, eliminating coffee from your daily diet is an easy first step to losing those unwanted pounds.
20. Caffeine limits the ability of your immune system to properly function. Your adrenal glands create or support over a hundred different hormones which help to keep you in good health. Caffeine has been shown to actually limit production by your adrenal glands, which eventually leads to lowered immunity, meaning more illness. So staying away from excess caffeine can actually strengthen your body's ability to fight infection.
21. Caffeine slows down your body's ability to absorb vitamins, minerals, and other valuable materials, which are vital for your health, drinking too much caffeine can actually cause your body to be unable to take in some of the very valuable ingredients you are feeding it. As an example, coffee can limit your holdings of iron by more than fifty percent. So besides the fact that this is bad for your health, if you are working hard to get all the necessary vitamins and minerals into your diet (by eating alone or through expensive multi-vitamins), you are simply throwing your money out the window.
This is for those of you that are ready to pounce on me, because e+ Energy Shots have caffeine. Sorry, it's just not the same caffeine. Coffee contains the stimulant caffeine. Unlike bioactive caffeine found in green tea, black tea, yerba mate, guarana, and kola nut, the caffeine in coffee is considered dead. Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant that is followed by a depressed phase involving exhaustion, nervousness, irritability, fatigue, and often headaches.
I know what you're thinking; "just one cup a day is not doing damage", right? The accumulative affects of drinking a cup a day is still unhealthy, just as smoking a cigarette a day is seriously unhealthy. If you are addicted to the taste of Coffee, try an alternative to drinking coffee, Teeccino. Teeccino is an herbal coffee, made of roasted carob, barley, chicory root, figs, dates, orange peel and almonds. It is delicious and tastes just like coffee. You can find it at most health food stores such as Whole Foods or Trader Joes. Teeccino comes in many flavors. http://teeccino.com
References: The Dangers of Drinking Coffee,http://Dherbs.com
10 Reasons to Stop Drinking Coffee NOW!, http://idealbite.com
Special thanks to Dr. Russell Brokstein.
Sometimes A Healthy Lifestyle Can Be A Pain
To be honest, making time for exercise everyday sometimes is a pain. Making the right decisions every meal is at times harder than others. I don’t always want to show up for those grueling workout sessions and intense cardio sessions, but I do anyways. Sometimes, I wish I didn’t know what all I know about food and the body. Sometimes, I wish I could sleep in and skip my appointment with the jump rope at 5AM. Sometimes, I wish I could eat the thick crust pizza with all the trimmings, wash it down with some Dr. Pepper and follow it up with a piece of chocolate cheesecake. But you know what? I don’t…
What stops me? The fact that I do know the impact it would have on my body. I know my mood would be horrible and my family would suffer the crabbiness of it. I know my metabolic syndrome and hormones would go way out of whack and it would take me weeks if not days to get it back to normal. I know I wouldn’t have any energy to do anything that I enjoyed. I know that I would be unfair to the only body that I have been trusted with. I know that I wouldn’t enjoy life. In fact, it would take away from my life, my dreams, and my goals.
So the next time you wish you could just skip the workout or you just don’t feel like showing up today…. Take a minute to remember why you do it. It is because you deserve to live a healthy and bountiful life. You deserve to be happy and kind to those around you. You deserve to live life without disease, aches and pains. You are only trusted with one body--- you better treat it right so that it will treat you right… On occasion the skipped workout, the pizza, the cheesecake (not in that order though) is okay BUT you shouldn’t want those things for the majority of your life- it should feel like a treat. A treat is something you want on occasion NOT something you crave everyday of the week. I mean Disney World is fun but I wouldn’t want to live there. Sleeping in is fun but I wouldn’t want to wake up at noon everyday just to think about what all I Missed while I was asleep. On those “off” days keep focus… Think about what all you are giving up just because you “don’t feel like it”. FOCUS on giving your body the best gift you can and that is good health….
What is Your Potential?
Potential is defined as having or showing the capacity to develop into something in the future. Adj
Latent qualities or abilities that may be developed and lead to future success or usefulness. N
It is to look forward with optimism or to be filled with hope. What is your potential at reaching your fitness goals this year? In order to reach your full potential you must grow as a human being. You cannot simply wish to reach your goals and hope that you land successfully. You must have a plan, work the plan, believe in the plan, and grow so you adapt and change the necessary habits that are needed to reach your destination. You may not always like the plan or the action required but the people who reach their potential are the ones that are consistent and push forward despite their mood. You see you cannot simply go through the motions of selecting the right foods and go through the workouts just to check a box… You have to grow as a person! In other words, you have to embrace the journey so that you adapt to the new lifestyle. If you don’t then you will find yourself right back to the starting line again and who wants to go backwards in life?
Author James Allen put it best when he said, “People are anxious to improve their circumstances but are unwilling to improve themselves; they therefore remain bound.” You have to have a plan, follow the plan, educate yourself, use the resources before you and develop as you move forward towards your goal. Don’t sit back and hope and wish it will come to you in any aspect of your life. I believe the saddest stories are the ones where people never reached their full potential and left this beautiful life with regrets and what ifs… Don’t be that person. Use every day to become the person you envisioned you would be when you were a child. We all had great expectations without holding back then, nothing was out of reach then why as adults do we put such obstacles in front of us?
Keep moving forward and when it comes to fitness and health goals- I am always here to help you reach your full potential- use your resources….
Stay tuned for the big Transformation Reveal on July 1st- this is a story of one a woman who went the extra mile and realized she wasn’t living life to the fullest, had a plan, and reached her destination. It is a very motivating story so make sure you check it out….
Why Do We?
Why do we let ourselves go? What stops us from living the best life we possibly can; filled with daily activity and healthy habits? When did we stop caring about our health and ourselves? Every time I read the new reports about obesity in America, I just cringe. It worries me that we simply don’t care about ourselves or what we are teaching our children about health. Our self esteem is low, our tempers are high, and we are killing ourselves with a slow and painful death. Adult onset diabetes is now striking children in their elementary school years and for the first time in history parents are outliving their children. There is something really wrong here.
We are given one body and all we are responsible for is to take the best care of that one body. After all, if we don’t -we don’t get another one. We are becoming selfish with our desires for instant gratification and our fear of hard work. It doesn’t matter if you are skinny, overweight, obese, young, middle age, or up there in years- you need to be healthy and treat your body like it is meant to be treated. If you don’t use it- you will lose it… Too many people are dying from heart disease, cancers, and diabetes. Did you know that we lose over 350,000 people a year from heart related diseases? Did you also know that this is almost 100% preventable in most cases? That is a very scary statistic. Don’t be afraid of where you are right now, this very minute. Just start working towards a healthier you and a healthier family TODAY.
I have spent years watching one person in the household change their habits and then the entire family and circle of friends starts to follow suit. It doesn’t matter where the support is right now- just show them that you care about yourself. When you feed your body the proper fuel it requires and provide it with butt kicking workouts daily- your energy soars, you breathe much easier, your body moves with fluidity, you become stronger in your body and your mind and you go on to accomplish things that once terrified you. Imagine leaving that for your children; a mother and father that care about themselves so that your children see that they are cared about too. You have to love yourself first before you can give the love to others.
Treat your body like a high valued corvette, pouring only the best fuel money can buy and working the engine with love and care.
Is Your Life Worth It?
Recent statistics state that:
- 66% of Americans are overweight (200 million people)
- 33 % of Americans are OBESE (100 million people)
- These statistics have doubled since 1970.
- 300,000 Americans die EVERY year due to complications caused by improper diet and fitness habits (which is sad because we CONTROL this)
So what is the answer here? Some people think we should have the government put a higher tax on the junk food; some say we need our work place to offer more incentives to exercise more. What do you think?
Personally, I think the above solutions are not the answer. We are the answer!! Every single one of us. We know what we need to do to promote good health. We know it takes physical activity daily, good eating habits, sleep, and less stress so why the staggering numbers? Basically, we have gotten lazy and want instant gratification. I mean we don’t even have to go anywhere to purchase a book or a movie (a click of a button and we have it on our phones or computers in seconds). We can order food from our cars (we don’t even have to get out and walk inside). We can do our banking from a car, order just about anything and have it delivered to our home or office, hire someone to clean our houses, wash our cars, walk our dogs, etc… Most of our careers are now completed from a desk..
How can we allow 300,000 people die each year from diseases that are self created? Or better yet- why do we allow 300,000 people die each year from this? We must take back control of our own health and start waiting for someone to do it for us… Our children are dying before us due to obesity related issues. I’m sorry, but a child with high cholesterol does not set well with me. We have to get out of this dream world that someone else can save us or MAKE us do what needs to be done in order to save our own lives. It is our responsibility. Our responsibility to raise our children in a healthy environment with good clean balanced nutrition and daily exercise. Support them by doing it with them- be their role model, don’t let them find another role model out there (you may not like who they choose).
We are the answer here! Start a new ritual of walking around the block as a family while dinner cooks or take a healthy eating cooking class, try a new healthy recipe (cook it together). Allow everyone to pick a new recipe to try this week. It needs to be a family effort- no excuses. You may not need to lose weight- but your health still needs to be first priority. Daily activity and healthy eating are the only ways to achieve that.
I want to see these statistics go down each year instead of up. Please do your part and take care of you and your family. Who knows- you may even inspire your friends or co-workers.
In Optimal Health,
I received this testominal today from a boot camper of ours, Vanessa who suffers from a thyroid condition and just had to share. Here are her words since beginning her Paleo lifestyle and joining boot camps.
"I went to the endocrinologist for a thyroid ultrasound and check up. I usually go every 2 months to discuss my levels. Well, I have to go every 6 months now!! It's a big win for me. I told my doctor about my lifestyle changes and how I figured out which foods cause my energy problems. My levels are all with-in range. He saw my weight go down and told me to keep doing what I'm doing.
I found out gluten causes inflammation for me. Cheese causes me to have allergies. For years, I'd go to the doctor and my levels were in range. Still, I had zero energy. Now I am seeing how the food I'm eating is the cause. My sister-in law and mother have decided to do the whole 30. My brother says it has changed his life. I know I have been able to handle stress much better. I still have some tweaking with my diet."
She gets it!! She understands the power food has over her health. If you want to read more about what it takes to transform, then follow this link http://www.transformations4life.com/Articles.aspx- if you want to know more about Paleo and the Whole30- contact us.
Small Steps Equal Huge Gains!!!!
How many of you have looked at your weight and thought to yourselves, í will never lose that much weight, it will take too long. So instead you decide to not do anything at all? I received an email this morning from one of my bootcampers and it even blew me away what small steps can accumulate over time. She decided to do a little extra movement each day by simply taking the stairs at work instead of using an elevator. Look at what she said…..
“I’ve taken over 200 flights of stairs this week - - the equivalent of walking to the top of the Empire State Building and back down halfway. “
Do you see what you can accomplish by just doing something every day. You don’t have to run a mile or do an hour of aerobics in the beginning. Just move!!!! Do something that will accumulate over time. This has benefits, trust me… You will start to lose weight, increase your cardiovascular health, raise your metabolism, gain confidence, and then you will be able to tackle more and more..
We all have to start somewhere. You just have to make the decision to START.. Get up from your desk every hour and do 20 jumping jacks (or 10 in the beginning), take the stairs instead of the elevator, get up and talk to the person in the next office instead of Instant Messaging them, park further away from the store instead of driving laps looking for the closest parking spot, walk to the mailbox instead of picking it up on the drive in, walk with your family after dinner instead of sitting and watching a movie, pace at the sports games instead of sitting on the sidelines, practice with your kids instead of sending them outside alone.. You see there are so many simple ways to start your path to great success.
I know you have all heard it!!! “You didn’t get where you are overnight so allow yourself the time to get back to where you’re supposed to be”…
What Does it Really Take…
Many of you are having a hard time making the first step towards that fit and healthy life. I admit, the first step is always going to be the hardest; it does get easier but it will NEVER be EASY!! The first step is to admit that this is never going to be a life that you can reach your weight goal and then go back to your old ways.. You will always have to make healthier food choices and you will always have to work out.
Change the mindset- instead of “HAVE TO” change it to “GET TO”. I don’t necessarily want to hit the gym hard every single day but I WANT to be fit and healthy so I GET TO hit the gym hard every single day… Get where I’m going here”?? It changes the mindset. You see the body will do what the mind tells it to do. So if your dragging your feet getting through the gym doors and telling yourself all the things you could be doing during this next hour instead of wasting your time at the gym- then guess what- You just wasted your time at the gym- Because your workout won’t be effective because your mind wasn’t in it.
Find what motivates you- it could be music, it could be a picture of a physique you admire, a story of perseverance, your children, an outfit, a condition you want to overcome, a doctor’s report, etc- whatever it is use it… Personally, I like to listen to high energy music really loud- I need it to drawn out any lazy thoughts in my head, any conversations going on around me, my heavy breathing (lol)- I like0 to lose myself to the beat of the music. This is what motivates me to really push myself. If I went into the gym with just the noise around me and the thoughts in my head- well I wouldn’t get much done. I have plenty of things going on in my mind at any one time (a house to clean, meals to be made, kids to run around, a business to run, workouts to design, and the list goes on and on) but for this one hour a day- it is all about me and my goals NOTHING ELSE MATTERS DURING THAT TIME!!
There are 23 remaining hours that I can deal with everything else. But my training hour is set aside SPECIAL for me. It is my SPECIAL SELFISH HOUR as I like to call it. This is the 60 minutes a day that makes me who I am. It is what allows me to be positive for other people, it allows me to be nice to my family, it allows me the energy to accomplish the million tasks I have to get through, it allows me to feel good about myself when I look in the mirror, it gives me a sense of accomplishment because I know I pushed myself harder than I ever thought I could go.. It is that one hour that makes me who I am… This is what changes my mindset.
Yes it is hard work and discipline but so is anything else that is worth achieving. If you want to be the norm, then skip the gym and eat at fast food joints, take a hand fill of pills and feel sorry for yourself because you don’t have the energy to chase after your kids or grandkids. If you want to stand out and achieve greatness then dedicate that special hour for yourself and become who you always knew you could be..
Are You Still Worried About What the Scale Says???
The picture on the left is 5lbs of ugly fat and on the right is 5 lbs of nice lean muscle. As you can see muscle takes up less space than fat, however it does weigh more, so the scale may not show the number you THINK it should. Your clothes will tell the whole story. If you are lifting weights, doing sensible cardio, and eating a clean healthy diet your results will show. Get out of the mind set that the scale has to be a certain number, if your clothes are fitting better then you are losing body fat and gaining lean muscle mass. This is how you truly create a healthy beautiful lean physique.
Falling in Love Again....
It is defiantly summer outside, here in the beautiful state of Tennessee we are hitting record high temperatures and in my hometown of sunny Florida, they are hitting record rainfall with their first of the season Tropical Storm. Yep—summer is here! This is usually the time of year when people are either regretting their lack of action with their fitness goals or really pushing it hard trying to hit their mark. Which are you?
Summer is the time of year where I reflect back on my own love of fitness and start changing things up! I love adding new exercises, challenging myself with lower rest periods, increased weight, and faster sprint times. This is the time of year where being outside brings me joy (you would be amazed at what you can do with a park bench). If you are finding yourself in a rut with your fitness program, think back when you first began that program or joined the gym, etc. What excited you about it? Personally, I love the clanging noise of weights hitting each other, I love the loud music, I even love the smell of the gym. The idea of people pushing themselves outside of their comfort zones is a HUGE motivation for me no matter what mood I am in.
What is yours? Maybe, you like the excitement of a group boot camp, the competition of beating someone else’s time or rep count. Maybe you like the solitude of running as far as you can in the great outdoors, or you like the quietness of working out in your own home gym, or the private intimate sessions with a personal trainer guiding your fitness.
We all have different reasons that we work out, the key is to figure out what you like and fall in love with it again…. Your body is a work of art and it should never become stagnate. Working out should excite you, make you come alive. After all, what other method can you use to make you forgot your problems? I can’t think of many.. Working out is where I feel young, alive, and motivated to conquer any task that I am presented….
Go ahead, fall in love again with your body!! This is one thing I promise you won’t ever regret!!!
Are You Struggling?
I’m guessing you have started missing workouts, slacked on your healthy eating regime, and have already given up on your New Year’s Resolution to lose some weight this year. Sound familiar?
I get asked a lot how to get re-motivated and the truth is there is no magic “thing”. If I had to name one thing I would say- “get out of your own way”. We are our own worst enemy! We can come up with 1000 excuses why something isn’t working but the truth is- it is we, who are not working. Whether you’re not be consistent enough, not pushing hard enough, not sleeping enough, not making the right food choices the majority of the time, or simply not drinking enough good clean water.
Don’t give up on yourself; your accomplishments are just around the corner. Nobody wakes up and says that’s it I am giving it 100% for now on without ever having a down day or a lapse in judgment. We are human (bad choices are in our blood). You don’t have to be PERFECT ALL the time. You just have to show up 90% of the time. Show up to that healthy well balanced breakfast, show up to that boot camp or workout, show up to refilling that water bottle for the 6th time today, simply show up….
Nobody is more important than you are RIGHT Now. Yes, moms that includes your families. You cannot expect to be a healthy loving role model if you’re tired, sluggish, unmotivated, and unhealthy!! Do you really want to teach your kids that they are not important? Well that is what you are telling them every day when you bump yourself off your to do list because of laundry, housework, errands… Working out doesn’t take that long. So even when you don’t feel like, show up anyway, that the music take over and the motivation of others get you moving. I promise you won’t regret it. My motivation to hitting the gym 6 days a week is knowing the older woman carrying around the oxygen tank is going to be there. She has plenty of excuses and the way I see it is- if she called me and asked me why I wasn’t there for my workout, what excuse I could possibly come up with that she would understand.
Get out of the way and Just DO IT!!!