Late summer into fall, we usually cook a lot of meals in the slow cooker. It helps with those later evenings or just a busy schedule. I love cooking healthy recipes but I also like simplicity. With school back in session for most of the parents out there, I thought I would share one of my all time favorite healthy and simple crock pot recipes
- 1 pound grass-fed beef (you can use chicken too)
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp of minced onion
- 3 cups of beef broth (use chicken broth if cooking chicken)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups of instant brown rice
- 1- 14 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- Shredded cheese, your choice
Place beef in crock pot
Pour beef broth on top, add in canned tomatoes, olive oil, seasonings, and salt and pepper to taste
Cook on low for about 5-6 hours (depending if beef was frozen or not)
Periodically stir and break up the meat.
About 30 minutes before the timer goes off add in your rice and black beans. Cook until tender
Mix and serve, top with cheese as needed.
You can also add avocado, green onions, or whatever toppings you desire.
You can’t get any simpler than this recipe. This is a great way to have dinner cooking all day while you are working on other necessities. I love creating simple yet healthy recipes that the whole family will enjoy.